Tuesday, May 3, 2011

When Bad Things Happen to Bad People...

I feel bad for people who were abused, neglected or mistreated as children... I really do. But because a person was a victim as a child should not give them a hallpass out of punishment for crimes they commit as adults. Cary Kerr feels that his impending execution should be appealed (again) because he feels like his maltreatment in his youth caused him to brutally rape and murder a woman in Fort Worth. I'm sorry, but every person who has a bad background doesn't kill people. I'm not saying that I don't feel for the guy, if he really was sexually abused as a child, but he was tried and convicted of his crime. The appeals process has been exhausted and now he is seeking a backdoor out of his execution through the new Office of Capitol Writs. This office was written into legislation to provide legal support for death row inmates in Texas. Kerr's attorney seems to be trying to say that there wasn't enough evidence admitted into trial to help make the jury sympathetic for the killer. I looked up the 2003 murder details, and it was brutal. If I was sitting on a jury, I would undoubtedly convict him based on his confession and the gruesomeness of the crime. Now, I'm not a death penalty proponent, but there has to be some point in the appeals process where enough is enough, and tax dollars can be put to rest on a convicted, and confessed murderer.

2 comments:

  1. This, When bad things happen to bad people, is a very easy understanding article that has strong opinions blended in. The author weaved the new Office of Capitol Writs into the story naturally. It made the article more convincing.

    I completely agree with the writer about the issues. Should a man be pardoned or deserve sympathies from jury just because he was mistreated when he was child? We all have sympathies for the murderer’s twisted childhood; however what he did was not forgettable and forgivable. He sure does deserve death for what he has done. A few hundred years ago, he would be slaughtered for his crime already, but we are civilized. No one has any right to take anyone else’s life regardless what he has done.

    There is one thing about the title of article that I find is a little confusing. I am not very clear on what the bad things that have happened on the bad people are and who are the bad people?

    After all, I really like the author’s opinion and style of writing. I have found a lot in common, opinion wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After stumbling onto Ms. Misti Crooks blog, “Donkey Tails, Part II” for the first time, I am immediately impressed! Crooks gets right to the point when addressing the issue of corporal punishment for a admittedly guilty man named Cary Kerr, who has been long been through every stage of the court system and then some, in her recent post entitled “When Bad Things Happen to Bad People”. “Cary Kerr feels that his impending execution should be appealed (again) because he feels like his maltreatment in his youth caused him to brutally rape and murder a woman in Fort Worth.” Despite Crooks’ rather aggressive approach to the subject, she is by no means tackling this without enough proper knowledge, after proclaiming that she looked up the original 2003 murder case details of Kerr, she really brings forth a credible argument against the offender, even if a bit harsh.
    One thing that really offset me about this article though, and it’s something I’ve seen going around to a few other blogs is that, she does not give any links to any of the articles she refers to, including the original one she is referring to, and she also does not provide a link to the case details, which I did end up finding myself, rather easily I may add, but being a blog, which only succeeds by viewer readership, turning the reader away from your blog to visit a search engine seems like a striking move, maybe it’s just me.
    For my take on the situation, I’m totally for it, the man sounds dangerous, and is rather openly admitting he’s unstable. However as the law stands, he must pay for the crime he has committed, his ruthlessness of the murder is really upsetting, additionally, as Crooks pointed out, “there has to be some point in the appeals process where enough is enough, and tax dollar can be put to rest on a convicted, and confessed murderer.”

    ReplyDelete